Separation from the University

Voluntary Separation/Resignation from the University  

Voluntary separations, also known as resignations are when an employee, resigns from the University on their own accord. 

  • Employees who voluntarily resign from the University must provide notice to their immediate supervisor or Department Head. Providing written notice is strongly recommended but not required. The University recommends providing at least two (2) weeks’ notice. Two weeks is the required notice in order to be eligible for future employment with the University.
    • Please note: In your resignation memo, please indicate if you are transferring to another state agency in Louisiana, to ensure the proper transition of benefits and service dates.
  • Prior to separation from the University, please review the Employee Exit Checklist for detailed steps to ensure any outstanding University-related items have been handled.
  • Complete the exit interview in Workday. This task will be sent to your Workday inbox once your separation is loaded. You have 30 days from your resignation date to complete this task in Workday.

  • Once the supervisor or Department Head has received the resignation notice from the employee, the department must load the separation in Workday. The Termination Business Process Job Aid is a helpful guide for loading the separation in Workday.
  • To fill the vacated position, refer to Filling a Vacancy for directions.
  • Prior to the employee's separation date, review the Department Exit Checklist for detailed steps to ensure any outstanding University-related items have been handled.

Involuntary Separation/Termination 

Involuntary separation/termination from the University includes separation for both disciplinary-related actions and non-disciplinary related actions. Disciplinary-related actions include, but are not limited to, conduct seriously prejudicial to the University, insubordination, theft, neglect of duty, illegal use of drugs or alcohol, inefficiency, incompetence, unsafe action, property damage or misuse, falsifying records, or concealing improper actions. The University is required to terminate the employment of a convicted felon, in accordance with state law (Louisiana Revised Statutes 42:1414). Terminations may not be grieved under PS-80, Grievance Procedures. Involuntary separation/termination prohibits an employee from being eligible for rehire at the University.

Other Academic employees: refers to part-time members of the academic staff and full-time members of the instructional staff below the rank of instructor, or equivalent. “Other academic” also refers to employees with academic responsibilities who do not hold faculty rank such as teaching, research, and library associates.

For other academic employees, the University’s notice obligation extends through the period specified on their most recent appointment documents. In general, other academic employees are entitled to 90 days’ notice prior to separation. Termination prior to the expiration of such an appointment may be made without the prescribed notice for just cause or due to declared financial exigency. Additionally, the appointment of other academic employees may be terminated prior to expiration if the position is funded by grants and those grants are terminated by the funding agency. However, in this case, the employee is still entitled to 90 days’ notice.

Notice requirements are not applicable in the event of termination for cause.

Professional/Unclassified employees: refers to administrative officers and professional staff as well as all employees exempt from the provisions of the State Civil Service System. Employees in this category are sometimes referred to as "unclassified."

Professional employees hold their position at the pleasure of the Board of Supervisors (unless subject to an employment contract with different provisions). Services may be terminated by reasonable written notice from the appropriate administrative officer. “Reasonable notice” must be equivalent in days to the usual payroll period (typically 30 days notice).

Classified employees: refers to employees covered by the Louisiana State Civil Service guidelines. Also referred to as "civil service" employees.


For classified employees, the first 12 months of service with the University constitute a probationary period to be used as an adjustment period for new employees. During this probationary period, classified employees may be terminated if the performance does not meet the required standard of work, provided notice of this termination is furnished to the employee in writing.

Termination during the probationary period may not be appealed to Civil Service unless the employee alleges discrimination.


A Permanent Classified employee may be terminated if his/her conduct is found to impair public service. The first step in the termination process is the intent to terminate, which requires written notice. If an employee receives such notice, he/she will be given an opportunity to respond prior to the University making a final determination. Such termination requires approval of the appointing authority and may be appealed to the Department of Civil Service within 30 days. A copy of the civil service appeal procedure may be obtained from the Office of Human Resource Management or the Louisiana Department of Civil Service.

Please contact an Employee Relations team member if you need additional information or clarification. 

Benefits Upon Separation

For information relating to benefits upon separation, please visit this webpage for additional information. 

Payment of Leave Upon Separation

PS-12: Leave Guidelines for Academic, Professional, and Classified Employees states the following regarding leave payouts: 

  • Terminal payment for leave may not exceed an amount representing 300 hours of unused annual leave at time of separation of employees for any reason.
  • Terminal payment for annual leave will disregard any fraction of an hour.
  • No payment for annual leave upon separation shall operate to continue the payee as an employee beyond the last day of active duty.
  • Classified employees dismissed for theft of agency funds or property shall not receive terminal payment for annual leave.
  • An employee who is retiring from employment as a member of Louisiana State Employees' Retirement System (LASERS) will receive payment for all terminal annual leave credits to which he/she is entitled (not to exceed 300 hours). LASERS members also have the option to receive a lump sum payment from LASERS for the actuarial value of their unused annual leave in excess of 300 hours that would otherwise be converted to service credit. An employee retiring as a member of Teachers' Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL) is entitled to receive payment for terminal annual leave credits not to exceed 300 hours. TRSL members who enter the DROP Program may elect to be paid upon entering the DROP Program (L.R.S. 17:425.1) or at final separation from employment. An employee who is retiring from employment as a member of an Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) will receive payment for all terminal annual leave credits to which he/she is entitled (not to exceed 300 hours). ORP members will not receive credit for unused, unpaid annual leave upon separation or retirement.
  • Employees who are members of TRSL or LASERS, upon retirement from active duty, shall receive service credit for computation of retirement stipend for unpaid accumulated annual leave according to the provisions of each retirement system. Unpaid leave is not added for determination of retirement eligibility. Employees who are members of an ORP do not receive credit for unpaid annual leave upon retirement. In accordance with the provisions of each retirement system, employees who are members of TRSL or LASERS and who enter DROP will not receive service credit for computation of their retirement stipend for unpaid accumulated annual leave upon entering DROP.
  • All personnel action forms processed to effect termination, retirements or transfers must show the amount of unpaid annual leave

Unemployment Insurance

All University employees are covered by the Louisiana Employment Security Law. Should an employee lose their job, the Louisiana Employment Security Law entitles the impacted employee to receive unemployment compensation benefits, provided the monetary requirements established by the Employment Security Law are satisfied. 

In order to file a claim, please visit or by calling the LWC Claim Center at 866-783-5567.