Passport Information

Passport Information

Your student status is based on a valid passport and is permission from your country to be in the United States. The passport is the legal document signed by your country that indicates your identity and country of citizenship. Your passport must remain valid while you are in the United States for your lawful stay and work authorization. If it will expire during your stay, you need to contact your Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. for the passport renewal requirements prior to your passport’s expiration date. If you are traveling, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months in the future.

IS’s Involvement in the Passport Process

When you apply for an extended/new passport, the University Registrar (112 Thomas Boyd Hall) can provide you with an official letter verifying your enrollment at LSU. Once you have received your new passport information, please visit our office during our Status Verification Walk-in times so we can verify your new document and update your records. If we do not receive confirmation that your passport is valid, a “hold” will be placed on your IS file.

Special Tips to Remember When Sending Your Passport Application


Before you submit your passport for renewal:

  • Remove your I-94 Arrival/Departure card. Keep in a safe place.
  • Do not send your original I-20 Form.
  • Make photocopies of your passport and the application before you mail them.
  • Send the application and passport to your Embassy or Consulate by an Express Mail Service with a Return Receipt.
  • Enclose a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope. The U.S. Postal Service can help you with express services and return receipts.

Travel Documents in Lieu of Passport

If you have been issued a Travel Document in lieu of a passport by the government of the country of which you are a resident, the information above regarding passports also applies to Travel Documents.

Lost or Stolen Passport

If you have lost your passport or believe it has been stolen, you must contact your Embassy or Consulate immediately to report this information and receive instructions on how to gain a replacement. You can use the copy of the passport that you made for yourself to assist in the report and replacement. If you do not have a copy of your passport, the IS may have a copy of your passport in your student file that we can provide to you.

In most cases, and especially if you believe your passport has been stolen, the Embassy/Consulate will require a Police Report concerning your lost/stolen document. You may make the report and get this document from the LSU Police (Public Safety Building, South Stadium Road).

After you have received your new passport, please visit our office during our Status Verification Walk-in times so we can verify your new document and update your records.


Embassy and Consulate Information

Washington D.C. Embassies

U.S. Department of State