Departmental Use: Setup Guide for Creating a Lactation Space
Creating a lactation space for your employees
LSU offers several lactation rooms for nursing mother on campus, but if there is a high demand in your office, contact firstname.lastname@example.org about the need for a space in your building. Our committee members will then discuss with the departmental unit about potential rooms. If you are a building coordinator looking to make a room a space, recommendations and guidelines are below:
- Locate an accessible area that is equipped for someone to comfortably sit for an extended period of time. This space cannot be a restroom, due to not meeting requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- The door for the room must be able to lock, which will allow the nursing mother to have privacy.
- Do your best to provide a sink so breast pump equipment can be cleaned.
- Create access to an electrical outlet.
- Obtain a comfortable chair and a small table.
- Identify the room with a lactation space sign.
- Once complete, add lactation room to the lactation map. To do so, contact email@example.com.
- To request supplies for the space, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Needing Modifications to the Space?
- If the room could meet recommendations but will need some modifications, please contact Facility Services at 578-3186.